Launch of Yorkshire and Humber Climate Commission
Join us for the launch of Yorkshire and Humber Climate Commission, an ambitious new partnership involving councils, businesses, utilities, unions, environmental groups and universities, coming together to tackle the climate crisis head on.
Find out how the Commission will provide an independent voice to help support the delivery of ambitious climate actions across the region. And most importantly, discover how the Commission plans to work and how you may be able contribute to the success of this new initiative.
The Commission plans to focus on reducing carbon emissions as quickly as possible, and ensuring people in Yorkshire are prepared to cope with the impacts of climate change, such as flooding, heatwaves and sea level rise.
The work of the Commission will be based on the principles of inclusivity and a ‘just transition’ to help to ensure that no-one and no-where is left behind as we respond to climate change. It will also ensure that climate actions are sustainable and bring benefits to nature and local wildlife.
6.30pm Welcome from the Chair of the Yorkshire and Humber Climate Commission
7.00pm The UK’s climate challenge:
- Lord Deben, Chair of the UK’s Climate Change Committee
- Emma Howard Boyd, Chair of the Environment Agency
7.15pm An ambitious Commission (short film)
7.20pm Comfort break
7.30pm Yorkshire and Humber’s climate challenge:
- Dan Jarvis MP for Barnsley Central
- Beckie Hart, Director for Yorkshire and Humber, Confederation of British Industry (CBI)
- Bill Adams, Regional Secretary for Yorkshire and the Humber, Trades Union Congress (TUC)
- Rachael Bice, Chief Executive, Yorkshire Wildlife Trust
- Emma Bridge, Chief Executive, Community Energy England
7.55pm Next steps for the Commission
- Director of the Yorkshire and Humber Climate Commission
Full programme of speakers to be announced soon.
Everyone is welcome to attend this launch event. Any questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Image: James Genchi, Unsplash