The Place-Based Climate Action Network has established a PCAN 'Network Plus' for climate commissions and similar partnership-based groups, local authorities and other organisations seeking to establish a collaborative approach to local climate action.
The Chair of the Network Plus is Andy Gouldson, co-lead for PCAN and Chair of Leeds Climate Commission.
10 June 2020
Forty people attended the kick-off online event, with representation from across 15 different local authority areas, from established Commissions in Leeds, Belfast and Edinburgh to newer commissions in Lincoln, Surrey, Doncaster and Croydon and areas considering creating climate commissions like York, Kirklees as well as the emerging North-East Climate Coalition. The meeting was an opportunity to share successes, frustrations and best practice. Plans for PCAN going forward include creating a shared platform for Commissions to communicate and quarterly meetings of the wider network. Other ambitions include collaborating on a position paper and highlighting key issues to central government to support place-based climate action.
Following the event, a briefing paper. What is a local climate commission? was issued by Andy Gouldson and Communications and Policy Officer Kate Lock.
7 December 2020
A second meeting was held on 7 December 2020, at which PCAN's suite of place-based Net-Zero Roadmaps were presented by Andy Gouldson.
15 April 2021
The third meeting of the PCAN Network Plus was on 15 April 2021, 15.30-17.30. Agenda items:
- Local action and the 6th carbon budget: developing a framework for local delivery, Louise Marix Evans of Quantum who has been working for the Committee on Climate Change and UK100. (Read the CCC report)
- A review of the Edinburgh Climate Compact – Alix Davies, Edinburgh City Council. (Find out more about the Edinburgh Compact.)
- A summary of the PCAN Report ‘Trends in Local Climate Action in the UK’ – Candice Howarth. (Read the report. A policy summary, appendices and database of council climate emergency declarations are available here.)
- An introduction to Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Independent Commission on Climate – Adrian Gault/Adrian Cannard. (Read the initial report)
- An introduction to a research project on the economic case for local climate action – John Barry/Kate Lock
The next meeting of the PCAN Network Plus will be on Wednesday 14 July, 15.00-16.30. Let us know if there are agenda items you would like us to consider.
Join the network
To request to join the PCAN Network Plus, email email@example.com with details of your organisation and involvement in place-based climate action.
Start a conversation!
Image: Gerd Altmann, Pixabay